Our client is a leading sports marketing agency, headquarted in Hong Kong, with offices in the Middle East and Asia. This is an exciting opportunity for a commercially-minded lawyer to lead its media rights division and also work on sponsorship / licensing contracts as well as a wide-range of supplier contracts.
- Provide legal and corporate affairs support across the full spectrum of the company’s business, including:
- Media rights: be the main contact in the Legal team for the Media team, leading the contracting process and providing support during the account management phase. Includes input in to sales strategies, sales documents and bidding processes.
- Sponsorship rights: support in the international marketing and sale of media and sponsorship rights packages, including drafting and negotiating sponsorship and licensing agreements.
- Supplier agreements: support the Operations team in their contracting requirements (for example, agreements with workforce suppliers, providers of signage and/or satellite services).
- Implement systems and processes to handle complex contract negotiations, and advise on rights and obligations, manage risk and confidentiality.
- Understand and keep abreast of relevant legal, business and regulatory developments (especially in major Asian markets) to ensure risk is managed, and provide legal advice on salient topics.
- Manage and provide accurate reports for the relevant areas of the business.
- Identify proactive and pragmatic solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks.
- Base your decision-making process on ethics and integrity.
- Create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders, including rightsholder's commercial and legal teams, and corporate affairs teams within the company's group.
- Deal with external parties (regulators, external counsel, clients).
- Meet legal team objectives.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Experience: at least 6 years (ideally between 6-8 years) of direct work experience in the football / sports media industry is essential for this role. Experience with IP rights and / or sponsorship agreements a strong advantage.
- The current experience should be ideally be at a leading company or firm involved in the global football / sports media industry, ideally in the Asia region.
- A robust understanding of IP and corporate law issues.
- University degree or equivalent and a professional qualification entitling you to practice law in a major territory, and ideally also Hong Kong qualified.
- Work experience at a senior level in different geographical regions of the world, ideally including Asia.
- Sound commercial acumen and detailed ‘360’ working knowledge of sports marketing industry.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of corporate, media, sponsorship, marketing and digital business drivers, challenges and terminology.
- Comfortable working to tight deadlines with constant changes and ability to cope under pressure.
- Attention to detail and ability to understand and communicate complex matrixes e.g. in respect of packages, tiers, product categories etc.
- Excellent presentation and negotiations skills.
- Strong inter personal and communication skills both written and verbal.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Problem solving ability and decision-making ability.
- Stress management and conflict resolution skills.
- High on integrity.
- Willing to travel internationally.
If you think you meet the above requirements and would like to apply please send:
- your CV; and
- a short cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org for us to determine your suitability for this role.
If you’d like to arrange a confidential discussion prior to applying please call our Singapore office on +65 6808 6635, Hong Kong office on +852 3978 1369 or London office o
- Practice Area: Sports, IP, Commercial
- Industry: Legal
- Keywords: Media / Entertainment / Sport, IP, commercial